About this Event
To celebrate Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) Heritage Month in May, please join us to watch the critically acclaimed documentary “Not Your Model Minority” and discussion with the award-winning SF filmmaker, Jon Osaki.
About the film & discussion: this documentary film will reveal ways the model minority myth that has historically been used to create a wedge between AAPI and other communities of color and perpetuate divisive narratives. The discussion with the filmmaker is a Q&A opportunity for in-person and online audiences to deepen the understanding of the model minority myth, how it is detrimental in creating partnerships amongst minority groups, and examines ways to build power and progress toward addressing systemic racism in the US.
About the filmmaker: Jon Osaki, a native San Franciscan and an award-winning filmmaker who has directed and produced promotional, educational, narrative, and documentary films. He is a long-time social justice activist who uses storytelling to educate, organize, and inspire action and his films has been screened at film festivals and community events across the country. His initial interest in film grew from his desire to share the stories of the Japanese Community Youth Council, where he has served as Executive Director since 1996.
About the sponsors: presented by UCSF Asian Pacific American Systemwide Alliance (APASA) and Office of Diversity and Outreach, this event aims to further UCSF Anti-Racism Initiative’s commitment in dismantling structural racism and the impact of bias by providing the opportunity to inform UCSF and UC-wide communities and its allies about the origins of the myth and the intersections with past and present anti-Asian violence.
- Open and free to all UCSF and any UC members (faculty, learners, staff) to attend.
- Hybrid event with the option to attend in person (see location & address) or via Zoom webinar. Both types of attendance will have the chance to ask questions.
- In person attendees: please bring your UC ID for you may be asked at the entrance.
- COVID-19 Protocol: If you had a COVID exposure or COVID-like symptoms within the last 10 days of the event date (May 3), please do not atted the event in person. You may attend virtually.
- Lunch is available for in-person attendees (limited quantity of box lunches will be available after the event).
- The film and the Q&A session will be available to view virtually throughout May. Please check back this page for more information.
Registration is required. Please register in advance. https://ucsf.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_WSLMeF1PTvG4I_mBEUcHUA
Accessibility: UCSF is committed to campus accessibility in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. To request a reasonable accommodation for this event, please email Francesca.Coelho@ucsf.edu as soon as possible.