About this Event
THE FDA ONCOLOGY CENTER OF EXCELLENCE PRESENTS:
Conversations on Cancer Black History Month Program:
Closing the Gaps - Building Trust in Clinical Trials for Our Communities
The Oncology Center of Excellence Conversations On Cancer public panel discussion series is observing Black History Month on February 9, 2022, 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm with a distinguished group of NCI-designated Cancer Centers (including UCSF) and clinical trial trailblazers advancing work in underserved communities. Registration is open and free to the public.
Panelists will address the importance of Community Advisory Boards and the benefit of training non-oncology healthcare professionals and workers. The discussion will also address successful strategies in educating, recruiting and following up with underserved cancer patient populations to inform the advancement of equity in clinical trial participation and associated oncology work.
Featured Speakers (in alphabetical order):
- Wilma Batiste, Community Advisory Board Member, University of California San Francisco, Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center | Chairperson, Faith Communities Abundant Life Health Ministries Network | Past Clinical Trial Participant | Health Ministry Leader, Neighborhood Baptist Church, San Francisco
- Dr. Hala Borno, Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of California San Francisco, Co-Medical Director of the Genitourinary Medical Oncology Clinic, Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Dr. ‘Lola Fashoyin-Aje, Deputy Division Director & Associate Director, Science & Policy to Address Disparities, Oncology Center of Excellence, FDA
- Rudene Haynes, Breast Cancer Survivor | Corporate Finance Lawyer and Partner, Richmond office of Hunton Andrews Kurth LLC | Active in bar, civic, and community initiatives that advance equity | Clinical Trial Participant
- Bennette Hooker, Triple Negative Breast Cancer Survivor | Clinical Trial Participant | Breast Cancer and African Americans Program Ambassador, Stanford Cancer Institute
- Dr. Richard Pazdur, Director, Oncology Center of Excellence, FDA
- Dr. Robert Winn, Director, Virginia Commonwealth University Massey Cancer Center | Elected by the members of Association of American Cancer Institutes to serve as Vice President/President-Elect of AACI’s Board of Directors
- Rea Blakey, Associate Director for External Outreach and Engagement, Oncology Center of Excellence, FDA